Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Storage Service Provider - Consumer Storage Service Provider

I've mentioned a few things about Network (network bandwidth) for SSPs in the earlier post. However, I could only cover the first part (Consumer Storage Service Provider). I think we need to expand the gist of Consumer Storage Service Provider a little more. Enterprise Storage Service Provider will be longer than Consumer Storage Service Provider (this may run well into the weekend).

For Consumer clients, they won't pay for dedicated network bandwidth (leased line, T1, T3, or MPLS service). Their access pattern will be through the Internet either it's domestic Internet or International Internet. For this reason, Consumer SSP will have to carefully calculate the required network bandwidth as I did earlier.

In addition, Consumer Storage Service Provider (CSSP) wouldn't provide direct connectivity from client's servers to IP SAN storage. CSSP needs to get a PC or a server to do file-sharing, web-based file upload/download, or even file synchronization. My company, Northstar Infosys, is developing a backup software based on the above functionalities called Northstar Backup.

So CSSP will need the following:
1. IP SAN Storage (iSCSI - namely Intransa, Equallogic, Left Hand Networks) - I have relationships to two of of three. Their products are equally good. Pick one.
2. Servers - 1U server, GigEthernet ports, enough RAM, One CPU (any current server CPU will suffice) since CSSP application will be network bound.
3. Develop your own backup software (like what I did) or license it from vendors (like me, Veritas, and the likes).
4. Buy co-location service with large Data centers
5. Start CSSP service business. If you are not familiar with ISP business, you'll need to study the market, write the business plan, remember to think about your Marketing plan. I find a number of books pretty well written. I'll write about them in the later posts.

Remember, invest in CSSP at your own risk. My experience is that people will utilize your CSSP in a totally different manner. So jump into this with both eyes open. If you need any clarification, please feel free to drop me a comment. Since I do consultant work with large telcos in Asia Pacific region. So please be patient if I don't get back to you in a day.

Good luck.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rates to advise juice extractors are very practical, and oftentimes
you may find certain for a number of bucks each month into garage sales or else variety stores.
This method torte blender is produced with s / s , and it's useful to sharp. Use many of the reviews about the enhancements through peoples' fitness have become reliable, even more so levels
caused by web sites took business wellness problems plus that are suffering on some treatment for allergies.


My web site; Ninja� Professional Blender reviews

12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home